Security is a primary concern for homeowners, commercial buildings and municipalities. The police in every city and town are kept busy responding to 911 calls and discovered crimes. Some of these crimes could probably have been prevented by installing a strong lock.
Selecting the right lock for the application can be confusing. Installing the lock correctly is equally important. A thoroughly trained and experienced locksmith can help with both the lock selection and installation.
The Pros and Cons of Magnetic Door Locks
A Magnetic Lock can be an excellent choice, but is not always the preferred solution. Each lock type has advantages and drawbacks. Knowing the pros and cons of each is important when choosing the lock that will provide the best security.
Pros of Magnetic Locks
- Magnetic locks are very strong when compared with the usual locking options. If subjected to a blunt force during an attempted break-in, a mechanical lock will break sooner than a magnetic lock.
- No Moving Parts
- : Since there are no moving parts in a magnetic lock, it will not wear or break with normal use. Little maintenance is needed and energy costs are very low.
- Special Options
- : Special options such as timers, status indicators and signal relays add to the versatility of magnetic locks.
- Mounting Flexibility:
- These locks can be surface or flush mounted.
- Magnetic locks are available in a wide price range, making it possible to find a suitable lock that fits the budget.
Cons of Magnetic Locks
- Cost and Hardware:
- A Magnetic Lock costs more than a mechanical lock and additional hardware is needed.
- Power Dependence:
- If the power is cut, certain functions won’t work, presenting a security risk. It’s recommended that the power cable is connecting to the lock be inaccessible to intruders.
- Not a DIY Install:
- Some types of magnetic locks should only be installed by an experienced locksmith.
Pro and Con
- Battery Back-ups:
- Battery back-ups increase the bulk and cost of a magnetic lock, but also make it possible to take full advantage of the benefits of a magnetic lock without worrying about a power failure or a crook with a cutting tool.
Able Lock Shop has been serving the residential, commercial and municipal locksmithing needs of Nassau and Suffolk Counties and eastern Queens since 1945. Whether you need 24/7 emergency help to get back into your home or new or replacement locks, call now. You can also follow them on Twitter for more information.